So, you’ve decided you want to become a truck driver. Whether you’re going to be driving for your own business or someone else’s, the steps to getting your heavy vehicle license are the same. It can seem confusing, but when you break it down it’s not as overwhelming.

Here’s our basic guide to getting licensed to drive heavy vehicles. For specifics, please check with your relevant state or territory’s transport and main roads department.

How to Get Your Heavy Vehicle License

You need to have, at minimum, your car license for two years before you can get a HR (Heavy Rigid) license. A truck falls into another class of vehicle and hence has a higher class of licence.
If you need a HC (Heavy Combination) or MC (Multi Combination) license, you need to hold your HR license for a year at minimum to successfully complete.

Find a registered driving school

There are many accredited heavy vehicle training courses around the country, so you don’t need to join the first one you find. Be sure to register with a school you’re comfortable with, as you need to be confident behind the wheel of such a large vehicle.
Your school will also provide driving instructors and materials for the theory test you’ll have to take before going on your practical test when you apply for your truck license. Study these, as they are very important for both tests.

Apply for your new truck license

Once you’re signed off from your driving school, you need to visit one of the roads and transport departments in your state to apply for your license.
You’ll prove your identity, then have your eyesight tested. You’ll also undergo a theoretical knowledge test – so be sure that you’ve studied.There’s no way to get around this next part; it’s expensive to have the required truck and instructor you need for your practical assessment.
In every state and territory bar NSW, your driving school instructor, if accredited to do so, can take you for your practical assessment and assess you.

Once you’ve passed your practical test, you have to go back to the transport authority. You’ll pay the fee and have your picture taken for your new license, like when you got your car license. You’ll usually get a piece of paper certifying you’re licensed, to use as proof until your printed license is posted out to you.

Get insured and get driving

Now that you’ve passed and received your new truck license, you need to consider what’s next. Once you’ve gotten your insurance sorted, it’s time to start applying with trucking and transport companies, or start your own!
For any financial advice you might need when it comes to purchasing your new truck, we’re here to help. Our brokers here at Asset Finance Shop are specialists in truck finance, and we’ll help get you into the truck you’ve been wanting. Talk to us today to find out more.